Saturday, January 10, 2009

Dosa

dosasf.com

This was my second time coming here and it was just as delicious as last time! However, I checked out the Fillmore location, since Jason was here and we wanted to make a reservation (the one in the Mission has a few available reservation spots but is mostly a walk-in restaurant).

We started off with this yummy, simple Roasted Beet Cumin soup. I had never had anything like this before and Jason and I both enjoyed it a great deal. The beet flavor really took center stage but had a hint of cream and light spices. It had a lovely, smooth texture and was finished off with some nicely stylized dollops of creme fraiche.

Next, we had the Chicken & Eggplant ‘Baingan Bharta’ - Organic boneless, Fulton Valley chicken, roasted & pureed eggplant, peas. Very spicy-hot and robust. The chicken was more tender than any chicken I have ever had prepared in a curry and fell off the bone. The coconut rice we chose to accompany it was perfect too.



















For those who don't know, a dosa is a South Indian crepe made from lentils and rice. I love them! They are paper thin and super crispy. For our dosa, we chose the Chutney Masala which was filled with potatoes, onions, cashews and allegedly, some eggplant spread. I say allegedly because the primary flavor of this dosa was potato and I couldn't taste any eggplant at all. Still it was very tasty and nicely spiced, but I probably will get a different one next time. I don't really want to pay $11 for a glorified potato.









Lastly, we had the Tomatoes and Onion Uttapam with green chiles. Uttapams are a slightly thicker, pancake-style Dosa. This was much tastier than the Chutney Masala Dosa. It has this great chewy texture but was still crispy on the edges because both sides were pan fried. Both the dosa and uttapam came with 3 "sauces". Fresh coconut chutney, tomato chutney and sambar. I am not sure what sambar is, but it looked like some kind of soup. It had all these vegetables in it and was very spicy and flavorful. I loved sopping everything we ate in it.

Since it is so affordable (relatively) AND delicious I will definitely be coming back here again, if not make it one of my regular dining spots.

No comments: